Rice is a well-loved grain all over the world. And though health buffs who are trying to stay away from carbohydrates avoid rice, having it once or twice a week certainly wouldn't hurt. Rice is rich in magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, selenium, iron, folic acid, thiamine and niacin - that's a load of nutrition that comes with a yummy bowl of flavorful and filing grain.
Oven Baked Garlic Mushroom Rice (A Virtual Vegan)
This Oven Baked Garlic Mushroom Rice recipe from A Virtual Vegan is a lovely dish that is bursting with flavors and is very easy to make. This dish offers a combination of onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary and mushrooms, all embraced by broth. The flavor melange is absorbed by the rice and results in a delicious number!
"One-pot, Oven Baked Garlic Mushroom Rice. A simple, comforting, no frills kind of meal that you are going to be wanting to make again and again!"
- 400g / 2 cups long grain white rice *
- 840mls / 3½ cups flavourful broth , I like to use mushroom broth as it has the best flavour. It must be a good tasting broth as this is where a lot of the flavour will come from.
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 5 - 10 cloves garlic , chopped finely **
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme ***
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary ***
- 550g / around 6 heaping cups sliced mushrooms
Spicy Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Black Eyes Peas Rice (Plant Based Kindness)
Plant Based Kindness has a recipe called Spicy Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Black Eyes Peas Rice which is a healthy, delicious vegetarian recipe that will surely tickle anyone's tastebuds. Rice is spiced with onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, pepper and tomato paste. Yum!
"This recipe is also so healthy and good for you! Yay beans and rice! Of course to make this healthier, cook your own beans, use brown rice as I did, and fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes!"
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 tbsp oil (optional)
- 1 small onion. small diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 6 oz 1 can Tomato Paste 170g
- 2 cans Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes 411g/14.5oz each
- 1 cup veg broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black eyed peas (1 can)
For serving, optional
- Chopped Kale
- Lemon Juice
Easy Baked Mexican Rice (The Chunky Chef)
This Easy Baked Mexican Rice recipe from The Chunky Chef will surely become a staple in your kitchen once you try it! This flavorful rice owes its yummy taste to onions, tomatoes, garlic, japaleno, cilantro and lime. This also makes a great rice base for Mexican burrito.
"This easy Mexican rice is baked in the oven and tastes even better than the rice from your favorite Mexican restaurant! Perfect for any occasion!"
- 4 roma tomatoes, core removed and cut into quarters
- 1 yellow or white onion, skin removed and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (leave the seeds in if you want extra heat)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro (divided)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 lime (juiced)
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Are there pests in your jar of rice? Put it on a large tray and put out under the sun for about 3 to 4 hours. This should get rid of the black or white pests.