Cucumber sandwiches are usually reminiscent of elegant tea parties, served as a savory sandwich, a layer of thinly sliced cucumbers between two slices of bread with edges cut off. Many foodies do not realize that there are a lot of ways to spruce up the classic cucumber sandwich - by adding just a few ingredients, you can come up with a healthy, delicious sandwich that would be gone in minutes.
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches (The Kitchen is my Playground)
This Cucumber Tea Sandwiches recipe from The Kitchen is my Playground is a classic sophisticated take on the tea party staple. The sandwich is made flavorful with cream cheese, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. This spread makes a great background flavor for the star of the sandwich - good ol' cucumbers!
"Choose from three flavorfully-delicious spreads and three ways of assembly to build a beautiful array of elegant Cucumber Tea Sandwiches for your next get-together. They will not disappoint!"
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- packed 1/3 c. roughly chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 large English cucumber
- Approximately 12 to 16 slices good-quality sandwich bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
Ham, Cucumber and Watercress Sandwiches (Renee's Kitchen Adventures)
Renee's Kitchen Adventures has a great and filling recipe called Ham, Cucumber and Watercress Sandwiches. This is a great twist on the classic cucumber sandwich if you want something that's a lot more meaty and filling than the usual thin and dainty pieces of cucumber sandwich.
"A light and delicious sandwich reminiscent of a classic tea party sandwich featuring ham, cucumber, chive mayonnaise, and watercress on soft whole-grain bread."
- 4 oz. Hillshire Farm® Thin Sliced Honey Ham lunch meat, divided
- 4 slices Pepperidge Farm® Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread
- 1/4 cup Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise
- 1 TBS chopped fresh chives
- 18 thin English cucumber slices (I used a mandolin to get thin slices)
- 2 cups fresh watercress (can substitute arugula)
Cucumber and Avocado Sandwich (Two Peas & Their Pod)
If you want a lunch sandwich but you'd rather fill up on healthy fruits and veggies instead of meat, then this Cucumber and Avocado Sandwich recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod will be a great solution for you! This sandwich is filled with good green stuff - cucumber, avocado, lettuce - all embraced by goat cheese. Yum!
"This fresh and simple sandwich is great for lunch or dinner."
- 4 slices Dave’s Killer Bread, 21 Whole Grains and Seeds
- 4 ounces herbed goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 Romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1/2 of a large cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Making your cucumber sandwiches in advance? Avoid soggy sandwiches by taking out the seedy part of the cucumber before slicing. Cucumber seeds contain a lot of water and could make your sandwiches too wet when left to sit.