Green beans may be one of the simplest vegetables you can prepare in no time that provide impressive health benefits. Loaded with fiber and vitamins A, C, K, B6, as well as folic acid, These bright green-colored vegetable is also very easy to prepare - just steam or blanch and you're good to go. But there are also various recipes that pack on the flavor and makes green beans a delightful number even to kids.
Healthier Green Bean Casserole (Gimme Some Oven)
This Healthier Green Bean Casserole recipe from Gimme Some Oven is a great recipe to cook not just for Thanksgiving, but anytime of the year! Make this dish extra healthy by using olive oil instead of butter and low-fat milk. Parmesan cheese also makes this casserole less calorific than those that use fattier cheeses.
"This healthier green bean casserole is made with fresh and lighter ingredients, yet tastes just as comforting and decadent as the classic recipe!"
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- mushroom sauce (see below)
- crispy onion topping (see below)
CRISPY ONION TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
MUSHROOM SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 8 ounces white button or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour (or cornstarch, if gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%, but any milk will work)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (not packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chicken and Green Bean Stir-fry (The Lemon Bowl)
The Lemon Bowl has a recipe called Chicken and Green Bean Stir-fry. This is a great recipe to make if your family loves Chinese take out, but you'd rather have something healthy and home cooked. This is a simple and delicious recipe that only takes 20 minutes to make. Serve over a bowl of brown rice for a divine meal.
"A fast, easy and healthy dinner recipe, this flavorful Chicken and Green Bean Stir-Fry comes together in just 20 minutes!"
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups green beans trimmed and cut in 1 in. pieces
- 1/4 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- scallions and brown rice - to serve optional
Simple Skillet Green Beans (Healthy Seasonal Recipes)
If you need an easy green bean recipe but you want something more flavorful than blanched veggies, you might want to make this Simple Skillet Green Beans from Healthy Seasonal Recipes. With subtle hints of garlic, red pepper flakes and olive oil, this is a great side dish for a healthy entree such as baked chicken or fish.
"These simple skillet green beans are a perfect healthy side dish. They are made in one pot with garlic, olive oil and a little spice. They’re vegan, paleo and naturally gluten-free."
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flake, or to taste
- 1.5 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons water
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
When shopping for green beans, select beans with bright green color sans blemishes. Fresh beans should snap in half if bent. Fresh beans can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.