Detox soups are a great way to get your health back on track. Cleansing your body doesn't need to mean you'll have to starve yourself. Detox soups feature a combination of vegetables rich in vitamins and nutrients, as well as herbs and spices that flush out toxins and boost the immune system.
Chicken Detox Soup (A Spicy Perspective)
There's a reason why we feel better instantly when we down a bowl of chicken soup when we're feeling a bit under the weather. This Chicken Detox Soup from A Spicy Perspective is a great recipe that's packed with vitamin-loaded vegetables and protein-rich chicken all enveloped in a savory broth.
"Best Ever Chicken Detox Soup Recipe loaded with lean chicken breast, vegetables and rich herby broth! Adapted for Perfect Weight America, a healthy cleanse for the whole family."
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh shredded or grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper
Cleansing Detox Soup (The Glowing Fridge)
This Cleansing Detox Soup from The Glowing Fridge is anything but boring. One look at your bowl and you'll be astounded by a colorful confetti of various textures, colors and flavors. It may be eye candy, but it's actually teeming with everything that's good for your body.
"This oil-free Cleansing Detox Soup is packed with all the good stuff, and by good stuff I mean immune-boosting natural remedies like fresh lemon juice, fresh zingy ginger, bright turmeric, balancing cinnamon, and a touch of spicy cayenne."
- 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/2 of a red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small head of broccoli, florets
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I used powdered)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- fine-grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups water (or 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water)
- 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn in pieces
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- juice from 1/2 of a small lemon (or a whole lemon, depending how much lemon flavor you prefer)
Slow Cooker "Cabbage Patch" Detox Soup (The Seasoned Mom)
This Slow Cooker "Cabbage Patch" Detox Soup from The Seasoned Mom is a great soup recipe that's delicious, filling, and offers a bowl-full of nutritional benefits. The combination of curry powder, chili powder, turmeric and pepper boosts metabolism and creates a delicious flavor canvas for the lean meat and vegetables.
"Instead of starving yourself or crash dieting, how about getting back on track with a balanced lifestyle…starting with this Slow Cooker “Cabbage Patch” Detox Soup? It’s an easy and delicious way to treat your body as it deserves to be treated — nourished, valued, and loved."
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 3 cups cut string beans (frozen is fine)
- ½ head of cabbage, cored and chopped
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (I used 96% lean), cooked and drained OR an additional can of kidney beans for a vegetarian option
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (about 1 ¾ cup), rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, I like San Marzano tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Use organic produce to make sure that your vegetables are free from harmful pesticides. If you can't get your hands on organic produce, clean vegetables thoroughly by soaking them in a bowl of water with a tablespoon of vinegar. This will help remove impurities and chemicals from the vegetables.