Who says meatless meals are only for Mondays? Tofu can be a delicious and healthy dinner any day of the week. All it takes is being creative with the flavors you soak our tofu in. When cooked right, you might even like it better than meat!
Honey Sriracha Tofu (Pickled Plum)
Skip that regular Chinese takeout and make your very own healthy tofu dish at home! This Honey Sriracha Tofu recipe from Pickled Plum is a yummy treat bursting with Asian flavors. The firmness of the tofu blends well with a sauce made from soy sauce, Sriracha, honey, vinegar and sesame. Yum!
"Spicy and sweet, these honey sriracha tofu cubes are crispy on the outside and silky on the inside. This is one of those healthy tofu recipes you can’t stop eating! Ready in 15 minutes from start to finish."
- 14 ounce block House Foods medium firm tofu
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons potato starch or corn starch for dusting
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or other neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 scallion finely chopped (optional)
Easy Vegan Fried Rice (Minimalist Baker)
Another Chinese takeaway staple that you can very well make for yourself (and a healthier version at that) is fried rice. Minimalist Baker has a recipe called Easy Vegan Fried Rice which is meat-free, healthy, and filling! The divine-tasting sauce coats the brown rice, tofu, peas and carrots.
"Easy, 10-ingredient vegan fried rice that's loaded with vegetables, crispy baked tofu, and tons of flavor! A healthy, satisfying plant-based side dish or entrée."
- 1 cup (~250 g | 8 ounces) extra-firm tofu*
- 1 cup (185 g) long- or short-grain brown rice*, rinsed thoroughly in a fine mesh strainer
- 4 cloves (12 g) garlic, minced
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup (72 g) peas
- 1/2 cup (64 g) carrots, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) tamari or soy sauce, plus more for veggies + to taste
- 1 Tbsp (16 g) peanut butter
- 2 -3 Tbsp (27-41 g) organic brown sugar, muscovado sugar, or maple syrup
- 1 clove (3 g) garlic, minced
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic sauce (more or less depending on preferred spice)
- optional: 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (or sub peanut or grape seed oil)
Spicy Tahini Tofu Stir Fry (Eat Well 101)
Eat Well 101 has a simple but very tasty recipe called Spicy Tahini Tofu Stir Fry. Tofu is soaked in the flavors of tahini, sesame, sriracha, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic and ginger. It is then topped on a bed of rice noodles that absorbs the lovely sauce. This saucy tofu dish is also great to eat with white rice!
"This tofu stir fry recipe is ideal for a quick vegetarian or vegan meal for two. Tofu cubes are stir fried in sesame oil to golden crisp, and then drenched in a creamy tahini-sriracha sauce for a spicy kick. Enjoy with rice noodles!"Ingredients:
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed at least 15 minutes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- Cooked rice noodles
- Chopped scallions greens
- Toasted sesame seeds + poppy seeds
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Marinate your tofu the right way! Drain the tofu and wrap in a kitchen towel for 10-15 minutes. Cut into cubes and marinade for a few hours to overnight. Draining the tofu before soaking it ensures that it best absorbs the flavors of the marinate.