Some people think of sandwich as just another meal on-the-go. But sandwiches can actually be a healthy number - it all depends on the type of bread you use and the nutritional value of the filling you put in between those bread slices.
Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich With Halloumi (Closet Cooking)
If you're looking for a meatless sandwich recipe, this Grilled Eggplant and Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich With Halloumi from Closet Cooking is definitely worth trying. For those who are not familiar with Halloumi, it's a Turkish cheese that's semi-hard and brined. If you can find some, you can easily substitute it with other types of cheese.
"These tasty grilled eggplant, roasted red pepper and halloumi sandwiches are a great way to enjoy late summers produce!"
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 8 slices bread
- 8 ounces halloumi, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into 4 slices
- 2 cups salad greens
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/2 lemon, juice
Egg White and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich (A Latte Food)
This Egg White and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich recipe from A Latte Food is a simple sandwich recipe that offers a clean tickle to the palette and a lot of healthy fats and protein that's good for your bod. The combination of the cheese and the creaminess of the avocado makes this sandwich a delectable treat!
"Egg White and Avocado Breakfast Sandwich: This protein packed breakfast sandwich is the perfect way to start the morning!"
- 2 Slices Oatnut Bread, toasted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 an avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded (any cheese is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste
Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich (Vanilla and Bean)
This Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich from Vanilla and Bean may seem to be a little tedious to make, but one bite at that heavenly sandwich and you'll know that it's all worth the effort! This sandwich is super tasty and flavorful, it's hard to believe that it's actually meat-free.
"Tangy Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich with dill and spicy mustard makes a delicious sandwich or salad for a week-day lunch, weekend picnic or potluck! Vegan + GF"
For the Salad:
- 1 Can Chickpeas drained and rinsed (aka Garbanzo) (425g)
- 1/4 C + 1 Tbs Dill Pickles finely chopped (55g )
- 1/4 C Purple Onion finely chopped (about 1/2 an onion) (36g)
- 2 Tbs Just Mayo or Vegenaise 28g
- 2 1/2 tsp Stone Ground Mustard 15g
- 1 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar 6g
- 1/4 tsp + 1/8 Sea Salt 2g
- 2 tsp Dill Weed fresh-chopped
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric optional for color and health!
- 8-10 grinds of fresh Black Pepper
For the Sandwich (options):
- Multigrain Bread or Optional Gluten Free Bread
- Shredded Carrots
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Never forget to rinse canned chickpeas before using - doing so can cut its sodium content in half.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.