Though peppers are only usually prepared as side dishes or salad add-ons, these bright munchers can also take the heat of being the main star in any meal! There are lots of creative recipes that celebrate and highlight the hot and sweet flavors of peppers your family will surely enjoy.
Mini Bell Pepper Chicken Nachos (Sweet Pea's Kitchen)
Want to make your homemade nachos a lot healthier? Ditch your usual recipe and try this Mini Bell Pepper Chicken Nachos from Sweet Pea's Kitchen. Instead of nacho chips, this recipe uses mini bell peppers to scoop our the flavorful chicken and cheese nacho toppings. This is a great recipe both kids and adults would enjoy!
"Mini bell peppers stuffed with chicken, tomatoes, olives and smothered in melted cheese. You won't even miss the nachos!"
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 green onions, sliced, white parts and green parts separated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound mini bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar/Monterey jack cheese blend
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Peperonata - Stewed Bell Peppers (As Easy As Apple Pie)
The Italians got it right. Bell peppers are oozing with such sweet and hearty flavors, making a hot stew to highlight it is ultimately the best idea! Try this Peperonata (Stewed Bell Peppers) recipe from As Easy As Apple Pie and you'll surely develop a new appreciation for bell peppers.
"Peperonata (Stewed Bell Peppers) is a rustic Italian dish made with only a few ingredients but with tons of flavor."
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Kg (2 lbs) red and yellow bell peppers seeded, membrane removed and cut into thin strips
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can peeled tomatoes (400 grams/ 14 ounces)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers Recipe (A Spicy Perspective)
Many foodies are intimidated at the thought of making stuffed peppers - it just sounds like too much work. But you'll surely be converted with this 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers Recipe from A Spicy Perspective! You'll be surprised at how three ingredients - peppers, cheese and honey - can be turned into such a culinary masterpiece!
"Easy 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers Recipe that will delight your party guests! This simple appetizer recipe is loaded with flavor and so easy to make."
- 1 1/2 pounds mini bell peppers (or a mix of mini bell peppers and jalapeños)
- 12 ounces garlic and herb seasoned chevre goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
If you're trying to save a few bucks, shop for male bell peppers. Male peppers do not have seeds and therefore gives you more value per pound. Check the bottom of the pepper - male has three bumps, while female has four bumps.