Veggie burgers have come far beyond being lousy substitute for meat burgers. Vegetarian burgers have created a league of their own - delicious burgers packed with flavors and healthy goodness.
Smokey Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Brown Rice Veggie Burgers with Curry Cilantro Mayo (She Likes Food)
She Likes Food shas a recipe for Smokey Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Brown Rice Veggie Burgers with Curry Cilantro Mayo. The patties made with sweet potato, black bean and brown rice are flavored with red onion, cilantro, cumin, garlic, and smoked paprika. It's one veggie burger packed with great flavors!
"Feel free to put your own spin on them if you would like, this version that I am sharing with you today was my absolute favorite and the smoked paprika really took them to another level, as did the curry cilantro mayo!"
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 cups roasted sweet potatoes, see recipe below
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 6 hamburger buns, gluten free or regular
- Burger toppings of your choice: lettuce, tomato, cheese, onion, etc...
- Jalapeno, to taste. I used pickled jalapenos
Homemade Mexican Veggie Burgers with Taco Aioli (Peas & Crayons)
If you're fond of Mexican food, you'll love this Homemade Mexican Veggie Burgers with Taco Aioli recipes from Peas & Crayons. The patties are made of flax egg, lentils, black beans, refried beans, ground flax seed and ground old fashioned oats, sprinkled with a confetti of healthy vegetables - bell pepper, onion and corn.
"These burgers are delicious! Each tasty veggie burger is loaded with a hearty trio of beans and decked out with colorful veggies sprinkled with flavorful homemade taco seasoning. It’s a fiesta in your face."
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, any color
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh of frozen
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- 1 flax egg [1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water] or large egg
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1 extra TBSP ground flax seed
- 1 cup ground old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh cilantro, to taste
Garlic + Basil Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Creamy Avocado Pesto (Ambitious Kitchen)
Ambitious Kitchen has a good recipe called Garlic + Basil Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Creamy Avocado Pesto. The burger patty itself is essentially made with chickpeas, flavored with garlic, basil, lemon, cumin, cayenne pepper and turmeric. Creamy avocado pesto gives this burger a good kick.
"You’re going to love these burgers. They’re still packing the protein and flavor, plus they are freezer friendly, meaning you can make them now and grill ’em up later. I serve mine on lettuce wraps usually but if you’re hungry a nice hearty bun is justifiable."
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 8 large basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if you like a tiny bit of heat
- 1/8 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, plus more if needed (see notes below recipe for alternatives)
- Optional: 1/4 cup diced bell pepper or shredded carrot
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for cooking the burgers
- 1/2 cup Avocado Basil Pesto
- Toppings: Sliced Avocado, spinach, sliced tomato, red onion
- Whole grain or gluten free buns or lettuce wraps
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.