Who says vegans need to miss out on ice cream fun? Many succulent ice cream recipes don't need dairy to stay creamy and flavorful. All it takes is some vegan milk base, and a little imagination to come up with a healthy, guilt-free and delicious batch of ice cream.
Vegan Chai Ice Cream (Minimalist Baker)
This Vegan Chai Ice Cream recipe from Minimalist Baker is a gourmet ice cream and a guilt-free treat all rolled into one lovely and delicate cone. This uses a base made of coconut cream and cashews. Chai tea gives this that lovely elegant flavor, while ginger and cinnamon takes its fragrance up a notch.
"Cashew-based vegan chai ice cream that's luxuriously creamy and spicy-sweet. Surprisingly easy with simple ingredients, plus no boiling or chilling required!"
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours (or overnight) then drained
- 1 cup light coconut milk (or sub another dairy-free milk, such as almond or rice)
- 3 packets chai tea (or ~4 tsp loose leaf, or sub black tea for a more subtle chai flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or sub honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and ginger powder
- optional: 1/4 tsp each black pepper, ground cloves, and cardamom*
Coconut Chocolate Chip Vegan Ice Cream (Beaming Baker)
This Coconut Chocolate Chip Vegan Ice Cream recipe from Beaming Baker is definitely one for the books! The vegan ice cream base is made from a mixture of coconut milk and bananas. Because bananas are naturally sweet, the recipe only needs a couple tablespoons of maple syrup as sweetener. Delicious and healthy!
"Coconut Chocolate Chip Vegan Ice Cream (Paleo, V, GF): an easy 6 ingredient recipe for creamy chocolate chip ice cream bursting with coconut flavor. Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free."
- 3 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut, shreds or flakes
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream (Go Dairy Free)
Go Dairy Free has a Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream recipe that's simple, classic, and purely divine. The base used in this recipe is a mixture of dairy-free milk (rice or soy) and silken tofu. The base is mixed with chocolate chips, vanila, salt, and that's it! This ice cream is great with vegan toppings like nuts or fruits.
"This makes quite a bit of vegan chocolate ice cream (about 1 quart), so you may need to freeze it in two batches if using a small ice cream maker. Please note that the Prep time does not include chilling, churning and freezing (which is all hands off time)."
- 1 12-ounce bag dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 12-ounce box soft silken tofu (such as MoriNu)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (see note below)
- 1 cup dairy-free rice milk beverage or soymilk
- pinch of salt
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Want creamier vegan ice cream? Consider mixing coconut milk with cashew milk. Cashew milk is super creamy and is often used as a vegan base for ice cream.