Vegetarians also get to enjoy panini with the help of delicious meat-free recipes. You'd be surprised at how a few wholesome plant-based ingredients can be turned into heathy and flavorful panini.
The Ultimate Veggie Sandwich (Tried and Tasty)
This Ultimate Veggie Sandwich recipe from Tried and Tasty is a lovely panini that is rich in fiber and healthy green vegetables. This nutrient-loaded panini is made even more delicious with a chive and onion spread that is just so divine and worth the extra minutes of whipping it up.
"This sandwich is loaded with fresh, crispy vegetables and is sure to satisfy your appetite."
- 4 slices Dave's Killer Bread Organic Seeded Honey Wheat
- 1/2 c. spinach
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 tbsp. mashed avocado mixed w/1 tsp. fresh lemon juice & salt to taste
- 1/2 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 Roma tomato thinly sliced
- 1 c. alfalfa sprouts
- 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
CHIVE & ONION SPREAD
- 2 oz. cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Avocado Veggie Panini (Pinch of Yum)
Pinch of Yum has a recipe called Avocado Veggie Panini. The sandwiches are filled with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, kale, avocados and cheese. This is a creamy, chunky panini recipe that will surely brighten up your lunch time. The healthy veggies are so flavorful, the panini tastes good even without the cheese.
"This avocado veggie panini is stuffed with lots of sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, and kale, and smeared with avocado. So yummy!"
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 minced shallot (onion or garlic works too)
- 8 ounces sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped kale, stems removed
- salt to taste
- 2 avocados
- 8 pieces thick, sturdy wheat bread
- melty white cheese like Provolone or Mozzarella, if you want
Vegan Balsamic Veggie & Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Panini (Oh My Veggies)
Oh My Veggies has a recipe called Vegan Balsamic Veggie & Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus Panini. The vegetables are flavored with balsamic and olive oil. The sandwich is made even more delicious with a vegan hummus made with chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, tahini and garlic.
"These vegan panini sandwiches are stuffed with balsamic glazed veggies and a creamy sun-dried tomato hummus."
For the sun-dried tomato hummus:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- Salt to taste
For the balsamic veggies:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices vegan sandwich bread (multigrain works well here)
- Fresh arugula or baby spinach
- Olive oil, for grilling
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Cutting your freshly-made panini in half? Use a straight-edged knife instead of a serrated knife for a clean cut.