Who says vegans can't have fun in the burger department? There are loads of delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes that uses vegetables and other plant-based products to result in burgers that don't need meat to be delicious.
Black Bean Burgers Recipe (Vegan in the Freezer)
The dark appearance of this burger patty may look like beef at first glace, but it's actually made of black beans and is delicious in its own way. Try this Black Bean Burgers Recipe from Vegan in the Freezer if you're looking for a yummy burger recipe sans the meat.
"Black Bean Burgers Recipe are healthy & one of the most popular burgers out there. An added bonus is these have little bits of carrots and corn."
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot finely diced
- 1 ear of corn shucked and cut from the cob or canned corn, drained, about 8 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs fresh
- 29 ounces black beans 2 cans about 14.5 oz, each, drained
Easy Grillable Veggie Burgers (Minimalist Baker)
This Easy Grillable Veggie Burgers recipe from Minimalist Baker features a veggie patty that's so sturdy, you can grill it. The patty is made from a mixture of cooked brown rice and mashed black beans, made flavorful with a spice mixture and toasted walnuts. This burger definitely hits the spot!
"Easy, grillable veggie burgers with just 10 ingredients (give or take a spice)! Flavorful, hearty and perfect for summertime grilling. Hearty enough to please meat-eaters and vegans alike!"
- 1 cup (155 g) cooked brown rice*
- 1 cup (120 g) raw walnuts (or sub bread crumbs)
- 1/2 Tbsp grape seed or avocado oil, plus more for cooking
- 1/2 white onion (~55 g | 3/4 cup), finely diced
- 1 Tbsp (~8 g) each chili powder, cumin powder, and smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper, plus more for coating burgers
- 1 Tbsp (12 g) coconut sugar (or sub organic brown or muscovado sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups (227 g) cooked black beans*, well rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1/3 cup (22 g) panko bread crumbs (if gluten-free, use gluten-free bread crumbs)
- 3-4 Tbsp (51-68 g) vegan BBQ sauce
Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers (Peas and Crayons)
Not a fan of black beans? Worry not! This Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers recipe from Peas and Crayons uses chickpeas as its main burger patty ingredient. Chickpeas pulsed together with rolled oats make a yummy patty base for this delicious veggie burger.
"Making a crave-worthy veggie burger is easier than you think! Amp up the flavor with these fun + feisty Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers!"
- 1 + 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/3 cup diced/minced bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced/minced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot, chopped
- 1-2 TBSP green onion, chopped
- 1/2 TBSP oil (avocado or olive) plus extra to cook the burgers in
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot t sauce, or equivalent
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg or flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax + 3 TBSP water)
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Veggie burgers tend to get less sturdy than meat burgers because of plant-based ingredients, so don't forget to add your binder ingredient such as oats, breadcrumbs or flax seeds mixed with water.