You told us about your favorite vegetables and we listened! For National Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, we're counting down recipes featuring your favorite produce!
First off of the list, cauliflower. This cloudy, light green vegetable is rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, protein, fiber and folate. Because it tends to absorb flavors, many foodies who are trying to watch their weight use this vegetable as an alternative to starch or meat.
Smoky Roasted Garlic Cauliflower (Paleo Grubs)
Are you a salty snacker? One bite of this Smoky Roasted Garlic Cauliflower from Paleo Grubs and you'll know you've found your go-to salty snack fix sans the gazillion calories, additives and preservatives. With only five ingredients, most of which are already in your pantry, this dish is surely a winner.
"Cauliflower is actually pretty mildly flavored so it can really handle the strong smoky paprika flavors, and also a hearty dash of garlic."
- 1 large cauliflower head, cut into florets
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Mushroom Cauliflower "Rice" Skillet Recipe (Primavera Kitchen)
If you're craving for fried rice but you don't have the carb allowance to chow down some, make this Mushroom Cauliflower "Rice" Skillet Recipe from Primavera Kitchen and you're all good. This low carb recipe is made delicious with broth, soy sauce, mushrooms and spinach. Definitely a healthy and delicious number!
"This Mushroom Cauliflower “Rice” Skillet is a delicious low-carb and vegan/vegetarian main dish for dinner. And, it’s done in only 20 minutes."
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 big garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 14 oz. (400g) cauliflower rice (see instructions below on how to make the cauliflower rice)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- Soy sauce to taste (If you are on Whole30 or following gluten-free/paleo diet you should use Coconut Aminos since it’s a soy sauce alternative.)
- 2 cups spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Sticky Sesame Cauliflower (Yup... It's Vegan)
Yup... It's Vegan has a great recipe called Sticky Sesame Cauliflower. This is a great vegan version of Korean fried chicken and it's bursting with all the right flavors without the unhealthy stuff! The sticky sesame sauce is a great recipe to learn and could be used for other veggies.
For the baked cauliflower:
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water plus more as needed
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into florets (scant 4 cups of florets)
For the sticky sesame sauce:
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil divided
- 1/2 inch ginger minced or grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic (to taste), minced or grated
- 3 and 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar (or less, to taste)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili paste like sriracha
For the sticky sesame cauliflower:
- battered cauliflower (above)
- sticky sesame sauce (above)
- toasted sesame seeds for serving
- chopped green onions for serving
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
When shopping for cauliflower, look for heads that don't have discoloration or uneven color. Fresh cauliflower doesn't have a strong odor and has vibrant leaves.