Creamy soups are the best on cold, winter nights. The best part is, you can make your very own bowl of comforting creamy soup without having to use processed canned soup or powdered soup base. Creamy vegetable soup recipes pack in flavor and texture and are actually good for you!
Cream of Broccoli Soup (The Healthy Foodie)
This Cream of Broccoli Soup from The Healthy Foodie is a great recipe to make for broccoli lovers. Broccoli is loaded with vitamins and is a great vegetable to eat if you need a boost for your immune system. To make this recipe vegan, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and use coconut milk instead of regular milk.
"You’re all good and ready to serve! This soup is at its best served piping hot, garnished with a handful of finely chopped broccoli."
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tsp salt (I use Himalayan salt)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- ⅛ tsp celery seeds
- 8 cups (700g | 24.7oz) broccoli florets, divided
- 4 cups (425g | 15oz) cauliflower florets
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk of choice
Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup (Making Thyme For Health)
Making Thyme For Health has a great recipe called Butternut Squash And Sweet Potato Soup that is just a bit of sunshine in a bowl! This comforting and filling owl features a combo of butternut squash, sweet potato and carrots, resulting in a bright, golden soup. Curry and garlic powder, nutmeg and ginger gives this soup an additional nutritional boost.
"Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup is creamy, comforting, and easy to make. Vegan and gluten-free."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped, (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Simple Pumpkin Soup (Minimalist Baker)
If you're craving for a bowl of creamy soup but you don't have the time to cook up a storm, try this Simple Pumpkin Soup recipe from Minimalist Baker. With only a few ingredients for the soup, this is a homemade soup recipe that's easy to pull off even on a weekday. The garlic kale sesame topping is also worth making if you have the time.
"A simple, 7-ingredient pumpkin soup that's savory and made completely from scratch! Healthy, satisfying, and perfect for chillier weather."
- 2 sugar pumpkins (~2 1/4 cups (450 g) pumpkin puree)
- 2 shallots, diced (~1/4 cup or 40 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp or 9 g)
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1 cup (240 ml) light coconut milk (or sub other non-dairy milk with varied results)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg
GARLIC KALE SESAME TOPPING (optional)
- 1 cup (67 g) roughly chopped kale
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp (18 g) raw sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- pinch salt
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Want to make your creamy soup extra healthy? Use a homemade vegetable broth as base. Make it by simmering carrots, celery, onions, garlic and herbs (thyme, rosemary, bay leaves) with filtered water for an hour. Strain and store broth in the freezer for up to a month.