Game Of Thrones Season 07 is halfway through its run and fans' eyes are glued not just to the tube, but also to breakdown videos and theory articles related to the much-loved HBO epic fantasy series adapted from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire novel series..
Game Of Thrones fans are elated that this Season 07, Daenerys Targaryen is finally back in Westeros and is more ready than ever to overthrow Cersei Lannister's reign and to take over the Iron Throne.
For those rooting for Daenerys Targaryen, there are various dishes that you can make to channel your inner Mother of the Dragons.
Aussie Mini Beef Pies (Recipe Tin Eats)
When Daenerys Targaryen married Khal Drogo back in Season 1, one of the dishes served was "Dothraki blood pies." This Aussie Mini Beef Pies from Recipe Tin Eats may not have actual blood on it, but it's served with ketchup which could almost pass for "blood" at least in color. Serve this with beer for your Game of Thrones viewing party.
"Though this recipe is really easy to make, it does take time. Honestly, the first time I made this I was a bit cynical about whether it would be worth the effort. Because you can get really great quality party pies nowadays, not only from the supermarket but also from bakeries."
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3lb / 1.5kg chuck steak, cut into 1cm / 2/5" cubes (or other beef cut suitable for slow cooking)
- 2 onions, peeled and diced (brown, yellow or white)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups / 1 litre / 1 quart beef stock/broth
- 1 cup red wine (anything dry and dark, not light like pinot noir)
- 2 dried bay leaves (or 3 fresh)
- 1½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (or 1 whole egg, for a slightly less dark golden finish)
- 4 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry (25cm x 25cm / 10" x 10"), thawed
- 3 - 4 sheets frozen puff pastry (25cm x 25cm / 10" x 10"), thawed (Note 1)
- Tomato Sauce / Tomato Ketchup
Dragon Egg Cookies (Otaku Crafts)
This cute Dragon Egg Cookie post from Otaku Crafts is a great nod to the Mother of Dragons. Save time by picking up a tube of instant cookie dough at the grocer. The color dust brushed onto the cookies give it a shiny, pearly appearance that's just too pretty to eat!
"You can brush the colors on dry or you can add a small amount of water to some of the powder. Brush downwards on the scales to achieve a dry brush-like effect."
Materials you will need:
- Cookie dough
- Cookie sheet(s)
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Cooling rack
- Paint brushes (new)
- Colour dust or coloured sugar in red, green and gold
- Egg-shaped cookie cutter (optional)
Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers (The Cooking Jar)
Another dish served during Khaleesi's wedding to Khal Drogo was "horseflesh roasted with honey and peppers." Not everyone may have the appetite for horseflesh (even Dany didn't eat a bite of the dish), but it's easy to love this Honey Garlic Chicken Skewers recipe from The Cooking Jar.
"You should have with some gorgeous chicken skewers which will go nicely with some lime juice. Juice it up! I ended up with six skewers total so that should be enough for four servings."
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ginger, minced
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Don't have time to make pie dough from scratch? Buy a frozen pie crust at the grocery instead. Just thaw the frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight and use just as you would freshly made pastry dough.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.