Game of Thrones fans are beaming with excitement as episode 1 of the show's season 7 graces television sets all over the world on its premiere.
And as always with us, foodies and hosts by nature, no viewing party goes without Game of Thrones food ideas and simple recipes. A medieval treat surely will surely make your season 7 episode 1 viewing party a lot more fun, exciting and not to mention, filling!
King's Landing is Westeros's capital and is portrayed as a place with resemblance to the Mediterranean. The staples in the capital include fresh fruits and berries, green leafy vegetables, nuts, grains, and meats like veal, pork, chicken, lamb and hare.
Creamy Mushroom-Chestnut Bisque (Floating Kitchen)
“Cersei set a tasty table, that could not be denied. They started with a creamy chestnut soup, crusty hot bread, and greens dressed with apples and pine nuts.”
Wicked as she can be sometimes, Cersei Lannister is surely an expert when it comes to food ideas and recipes that celebrate the bounty of King's Landing. This Creamy Mushroom-Chestnut Bisque from Floating Kitchen will make you feel like a royalty. Not to mention, it's vegan!
"I’ve made this soup with jarred chestnuts and with fresh chestnuts that I roasted and peeled myself . It works great both ways. But the jarred chestnuts will save you a significant amount of prep time if you’re in a hurry."
For the Bisque
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cups mushrooms, chopped (I used a mix of shiitake and crimini)
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups roasted and peeled chestnuts, plus extra for garnish
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce if you can tolerate gluten)
For the Fried Mushrooms
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms, very thinly sliced
The Perfect Prime-Rib Beef Roast (Simply Delicious Food)
"He [Eddard Stark] signaled for the meal to resume. The servants began bringing out platters of ribs, roasted in a crust of garlic and herbs."
You don't need to be a Hand of the King to sample this Perfect Prime-Rib Beef Roast from Simply Delicious Food. Though it takes a few hours to roast the meat, preparing this dish is actually a lot simpler than it looks with only seven ingredients on the list.
"Tender, juicy meat with an exterior of crisp, golden fat. This is the ultimate prime rib beef roast, the perfect centerpiece for any celebration."
- 1 x 3kg prime rib roast, bones attached
- 2 tablespoons olive oil/butter
- sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 head of garlic, tops cut off
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
The Ultimate Lemon Cake Recipe (Grandbaby Cakes)
“Later came sweetbreads and pigeon pie and baked apples fragrant with cinnamon and lemon cakes frosted in sugar, but by then Sansa was so stuffed that she could not manage more than two little lemon cakes, as much as she loved them."
Any Game of Thrones fan who will atten your season 7 episode 1 viewing party will surely enjoy this food idea from Grandbaby Cakes. Entitled The Ultimate Lemon Cake, this recipe will surely make Sansa dance with joy!
"This is the Ultimate and Best Lemon Cake Recipe on the Internet! You will adore this Cream Cheese Lemon Pound Cake Recipe for years to come!"
For the Pound Cake:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package lemon instant pudding
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3½ teaspoons fresh lemon zest
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 1⅓ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Optional: lemon zest for garnish
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
When roasting vegetables and meat, line the bottom of the roasting pan with silicone mat. This will make it easier for your to scrape off the caramelized vegetables and will make clean up time a lot faster.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.