Cheese pairs very well with mushrooms, and almost every pizza lover knows this for a fact! There are mushroom grilled cheese sandwich recipes that hit the spot and would satisfy both the mushroom lover and cheese lover in you.
Mushroom and Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Urban Bakes)
Urban Bakes has a recipe called Mushroom and Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich. This recipe combines earthy flavors of mushroom, rich flavors of Dubliner and Skellig, and the sweet-savory goodness of fried onions. This is a great grub for a weekend Netflix movie night!
"An enhanced classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Sautéed Mushrooms and Fried Onions!"
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Kerrygold salted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz sliced baby bello mushrooms or 1 pound whole mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices white bread
- 3.5 oz Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- 3.5 oz Kerrygold Skellig cheese, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 cup fried onions
Thyme Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese (Life as a Strawberry)
This Thyme Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese from Life as a Strawberry is so elegantly delicious, you can serve it on a party - especially if your guests are cheese lovers. The divine trifecta of mozzarella, goat cheese and Parmesan works very well with mushrooms and thyme.
"Step up your grilled cheese sandwich game with this delicious roasted mushroom sandwich! Great for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Vegetarian."
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tsp. butter, room temperature
- 8 large pieces of crusty bread (I used a sourdough miche bread, and YUM)
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Smoked Swiss & Mushroom Grilled Cheese (Drink-Milk.com)
Drink-Milk.com has a recipe called Smoked Swiss & Mushroom Grilled Cheese. What makes this extra special is that the mushrooms are first sauteed to soak up delicious flavors, before being added to the sandwich to mingle with Swiss cheese and butter.
"Not only is this sandwich delicious, but you can sneak in a serving of veggies! Pairing fresh vegetables, such as mushrooms, with high-calcium cheese may help children eat more vegetables and whole grains."
For the mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- Pinch thyme
- Salt and pepper
For the sandwiches:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices sturdy bread (such as sourdough)
- 4 slices smoked Swiss cheese
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Though most common cheeses pair very well with mushrooms, there are certain types that do the trick fantastically well - Comte, Emmental, Gruyere, Parmesan and Swiss. Use these to complement mushrooms in appetizers, soups, or even salads.