Pasta salads are definitely one of the favorite snacks during picnics - it's light, filling and easy to make and pack! The beauty about pasta salads is, you can make it ahead of time, keep in individual containers (mason jars are great to take on picnics), pop in the fridge and pack the next day when you're ready to scoot to the park.
Summer Picnic Pasta Salad (Love Happy Hour)
This Summer Picnic Pasta Salad from Love Happy Hour is a great recipe to make if you're craving for something filling and healthy. Not to mention, this dish is also easy on the eyes with all its mingling colors! The recipe calls for light champagne dressing, but you can easily swap it out for your favorite vinaigrette.
"It’s the perfect family-style pasta salad to bring to a picnic or barbeque, plus I’ve added some healthy and easy to find products from my local Trader Joe’s to make it easier for your one-stop shopping ingredient list."
- 1 16 oz package of spiral pasta (I used Trader Giotto’s Trofie Colore Macaroni)
- 8 oz Girard’s light Champagne dresssing
- 8 oz (1/2 package) Trader Joe's riced cauliflower or 1 cup of finley chopped cauliflower
- 2/3 cup of black olives (sliced)
- 1 5 oz package of Trader Giotto’s sopressata salame (sliced)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 whole egg whites (sliced)
- 3 Persian cucumbers (sliced)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (sliced)
- 8 basil leaves (chiffonade)
- salt and pepper
Broccoli and Tomato Pasta (Flour On My Face)
Flour On My Face has a great vegetable-filled salad recipe called Broccoli and Tomato Pasta. It's basically a pasta salad with healthy chunks of broccoli, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers. The dressing is equally easy to make and is essentially composed of Miracle whip, vinegar and sugar. It's a great side dish or a salad that you can also eat on its own.
"The vinegar and Miracle Whip adds the perfect amount of tanginess that works perfect with the broccoli, tomatoes and peppers."
- 1 12 ounce box Tri-Color pasta
- 3/4 cup fresh broccoli florets that have been cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup combination of green,yellow and red peppers, finely diced
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup miracle whip
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Creamy Italian Herb Pasta Salad (Sweet Phi)
If your family loves Italian herbs, it will be a treat for them to gorge on this Creamy Italian Herb Pasta Salad from Sweet Phi. The salad is made of pasta, bell pepper, onions, spinach and Parmesan cheese - it's light, simple and healthy! Plus the green hue of the salad will make you feel like you're doing something good for your body.
"To make it even healthier, I love using Veggie pasta or whole wheat pasta. All in all one delicious and healthy pasta salad!"
- 1 Box (12 oz) Beggie Rotini or whole wheat pasta
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 3 Green Onions, finely chopped
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1 Cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- For the dressing-
- 1 6oz container Stonyfield Smooth and Creamy Fat Free Plain Yogurt
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbs fresh herbs, finely chopped (I used Basil, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary, you could use 1 Tbs dried herbs in place of fresh herbs)
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
When cooking pasta, salt your water like the sea. This will result in perfectly seasoned pasta that's a perfect canvass for your choice of sauce or dressing and other ingredients.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.