Mother's Day is just around the corner and many are looking for ways to make moms feel how much they're loved and appreciated. This year, why not whip up a surprise right in the kitchen? Pay homage to mom's culinary skills by preparing a delicious meal meant to remind her of the many times she has done the same for you.
When we were kids, our moms may have asked us (firmly, at times) to eat our vegetables at dinner. And though we might have frowned down at that broccoli too many times to even count, this trained us to learn about healthy eating.
This year, show your gratitude to your mom by preparing a colorful and light salad with all healthy goodness she loves. She'll definitely be surprised that the tables have turned and it's you who's trying to feed her veggies these days!
Whole Food's California Quinoa Salad (Damn Delicious)
This Whole Food's California Quinoa Salad recipe from Damn Delicious is a nice salad for lunch or dinner if you're looking for something filling but light. Moms who are trying to stay away from carbs like white rice will definitely adore this mouth watering recipe. The vibrant colored-confetti of healthy ingredients show how good this salad is for the body.
"A healthy, nutritious copycat recipe that you can make right at home, loaded with sweet mango, bell peppers, edamame and coconut!"
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Grilled Shrimp Avocado Fennel And Orange Salad (Skinny Taste)
Moms who love seafood will surely enjoy this Grilled Shrimp Avocado Fennel And Orange Salad recipe from Skinny Taste. The salad itself is a mix of healthy protein and greens - shrimp, arugula and fennel, combined with tangy orange and creamy avocado. The citrus vinaigrette binds all the flavors very well, creating a party in your mouth.
"This salad is light and delicious, less than 300 calories, and perfect for Weight Watchers, Whole30, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Dairy-Free, Low-Sodium and I’m sure others dietary restrictions I’m not familiar with."
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after peeled)
- 4 cups fresh arugula or baby greens
- 1 cup (1⁄2 small bulb) fresh fennel, thinly sliced or shaved w/ mandoline
- 1 medium-size ripe Hass avocado, sliced thin
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and squeezed
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp minced shallots
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Light Summer Salad with a Creamy Garlic and Tahini Dressing (The Conscious Dietitian)
Does your mom love corn? If the answer is yes, then this Light Summer Salad with a Creamy Garlic and Tahini Dressing recipe from The Conscious Dietitian is the perfect salad to put together for her on Mother's Day. A mixture of corn, carrots, lettuce, beet, cherry tomatoes and capsicum, this is a filling meal bursting with flavor, fiber and nutrients.
"Corn is a staple food in many countries and is a great gluten free, high fibre alternative for those with gluten intolerances. Make sure your corn is organic to avoid nasty GMO corn and the corresponding pesticides.”
- 2 cobs of organic corn, husked
- 1 large head of fresh lettuce, washed
- 3 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 beet, grated
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, larger ones halved
- 1 green capsicum, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 inch cube ginger, diced
- 1 tsp honey*
- juice of 1 lemon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil