For foodies who are trying to eat healthier this 2018, January is National Oatmeal Month and it's a great time to revisit the many health benefits of this grain. Oatmeal is loaded with fiber and helps lower cholesterol and blood sugar. To reap the many health benefits of this grain, ditch those packets of flavored instant oatmeal and make your very own healthy bowl instead.
Asian Inspired Savory Oatmeal (Jeanette's Healthy Living)
This Asian Inspired Savory Oatmeal from Jeanette's Healthy Living is a bowl of comfort after a long day at work! This dish is fairly easy to make. A porridge made from oats, broth and ginger is topped with a soft-boiled egg and drizzled with soy sauce, sesame oil and scallions - the result is simply divine!
"To make a Southeast Asian version, add a crushed lemongrass stalk to the broth, and use fish sauce in of soy sauce; leave out the sesame oil."
- One 1/4" slice fresh ginger the size of a quarter, peeled
- 1/2 cup rolled gluten-free oats
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 poached egg
- a drizzle of gluten-free soy sauce
- a drizzle of sesame oil
- hot sauce optional
- fresh minced scallions
Steel-Cut Oat “Risotto” with Butternut Squash and Kale (Cookie + Kate)
Instead of reaching for white rice when making your risotto, try to make it with steel-cut oats instead. This Steel-Cut Oat “Risotto” with Butternut Squash and Kale from Cookie + Kate is a great recipe to begin with. The butternut squash gives this dish a delicious yellowish color and an awesome sweet flavor.
"...Steel-cut oats require about 25 minutes on the stove, with minimal fuss. Steel-cut oats are 100% whole grain and are a good source of fiber, so this risotto will stick with you."
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small (2 pounds) butternut squash or 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into ½” cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 ½ cups Quaker Steel-Cut Oats
- 2 packed cups chopped kale, ribs removed (about ½ bunch)
- ½ cup dry white wine*
- 6 cups water
- ¾ cup (1 ¾ ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Slow Cooker Oatmeal Congee With Soft Boiled Egg (Natty's Pantry)
You don't have to slave away in the kitchen to eat healthy. This Slow Cooker Oatmeal Congee With Soft Boiled Egg from Natty's Pantry is a dish that you put together in a slow cooker at night and savor in the morning. You can throw in some shredded chicken for an added depth of flavor.
"This thick oatmeal congee stew with soft boil egg is a warm comfy bowl with a rich texture from the oatmeal that has been cooking down overnight in the slow cooker and with an extra silky wonderful feeling from soft boiled egg. The soy sauce, ginger, white pepper, and green onion add the perfect elements to your morning."
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth or unsalted vegetable broth
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 soft boil eggs, garnish
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced ginger, garnish
- 4 scallion thinly sliced scallion, garnish
- 2-4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, seasoning
- salt, to taste
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Use steel-cut oats in cooking rather than instant oatmeal. Steel-cut oats may take a longer time to cook, but it's definitely worth it because of its health benefits.