Vegetable sandwich may seem to be a grown up lunch, but it all depends on how you prepare it to be palatable and visually attractive to kids. Many grilled and vegetable recipes offer huge nutritional benefits and big flavors as well.
Grilled Summer Vegetable Sandwiches With Pesto (Kitchen Treaty)
If you're a fan of grilled vegetables, you'll love this Grilled Summer Vegetable Sandwiches With Pesto recipe from Kitchen Treaty. It's basically marinated zucchini, squash and red bell peppers that are grilled to perfection and smothered with a yummy pesto sauce amidst sandwich rolls. For a shortcut version, use store-brought marinade and pesto sauce.
"Summer in a sandwich! Zucchini, summer squash, and red bell pepper doused in balsamic-thyme marinade, grilled to perfection, and then piled onto pesto-smeared artisan rolls. For a shortcut, consider using your favorite store-bought pesto."
- 2-3 small to medium zucchini (1 pound)
- 2-3 small to medium summer squash or yellow squash (1 pound)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 4 ciabatta sandwich rolls (or your favorite artisan sandwich roll)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Zest from one lemon (about 2 teaspoons) (you’ll use the juice in the pesto)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
BASIL & TOASTED WALNUT PESTO:
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes or grated Parmesan (optional)*
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Lebanese Grilled Vegetable Tacos With Hummus (Fascinating Food World)
If soft tacos make it easier for you to feed grilled vegetables to your kids , then you'll have to try this Lebanese Grilled Vegetable Tacos With Hummus recipe from Fascinating Food World. The grilled vegetables goes very well with hummus and the coriander and tomato salsa. Hold the cumin and chili powder if your kids aren't fond of spicy food.
"Simple, healthy and flavourful Lebanese grilled vegetable tacos topped with addictive hummus."
- 8 button mushrooms- sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper- diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper - diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander
- Whole wheat chapati/ tacos
Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich (Two Peas And Their Pod)
Vegetable sandwich doesn't get any more colorful than this! Two Peas And Their Pod has a great recipe called Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich and the finished product is pure eye candy! But don't be fooled by its appearance, this melange of bright vegetables is packed with nutrition.
"Rainbow Vegetable Sandwich-this healthy and delicious sandwich is layered with colorful veggies!"
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons Arla Herbs & Spices cream cheese
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 6 cucumber slices
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 avocado, pit removed and sliced
- 5 yellow bell pepper strips
- 3 tablespoons shredded carrots
- 5 red bell pepper strips
- 2 tomato slices
- 2 radishes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped purple cabbage
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Use cold running water when washing leafy greens like lettuce, cabbage and chard to keep them crisp and fresh in your sandwich.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.