If you want to revamp your cooking methods for a healthier you this year, giving slow cooking a try is definitely worth it. Slow cooking is basically cooking your food in low heat over a long period of time. This technique does not only make the flavors come out better, but is also a healthier way of cooking meats.
Beef lovers will surely enjoy slow cooked dishes as this process naturally tenderizes meat and turns it soft and more succulent.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew (Life Made Sweeter)
Life Made Sweeter has a recipe called Slow Cooker Beef Stew. Beef is seasoned with pepper and Italian seasoning and browned before stewing in the slow cooker with a handful of healthy produce - carrots, celery, potatoes, and a potful of delicious herbs and spices. Enjoy this with crusty bread!
"Slow Cooker Beef Stew (Homemade) – the perfect comforting dish on a cold day. Best of all, this easy recipe simmers in the crock-pot for the most tender meat with carrots, potatoes and celery."
FOR THE BEEF
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds beef chuck roast preferred (or beef stew meat) trimmed and cut into 1 - 2 inch chunks
- 1/3 cup flour (use gluten free flour or arrowroot starch if needed)
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
FOR THE STEW
- cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine
- 3-4 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks (or can use about 10 small baby potatoes with skin on - cut in half)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks (leave out if desired)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 cups beef broth, homemade or low sodium
- 1/2 star anise (optional but adds SO much depth and flavor)
- water as needed to cover the vegetables
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- more salt and pepper to taste
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket With Barbecue Sauce (Carl's Bad Cravings)
This recipe called Slow Cooker Beef Brisket With Barbecue Sauce from Carl's Bad Cravings is a great dish to pull off if your family loves barbecue. Slow cooking is actually healthier than barbecuing because it doesn't produce compounds that may be harmful to health. The homemade barbecue sauce is to die for!
"There are many ways to prepare beef brisket – there’s smoked beef brisket, oven beef brisket but I’m telling you this Crockpot Beef Brisket recipe is my favorite method for juicy, flavor exploding beef brisket! And it’s SO EASY!"
- 4-5 pounds beef brisket trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup homemade barbecue sauce (directions to follow)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tsp EACH garlic powder, salt
- 1 tsp EACH onion powder, chipotle powder, pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional for more heat
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless blackberry preserves
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reserved Spice Rub from above
- 1 tablespoon mesquite liquid smoke optional but recommended*
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef (The Recipe Critic)
Try this Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef recipe from The Recipe Critic if you're always craving for a steaming bowl of saucy, savory beef stew over rice but don't have much time to cook up a storm on weekdays. All it takes is putting everything in a pot and waiting for all the delicious flavors to come together.
"Beef that slow cooks to tender melt in your mouth perfection. This takes minutes to throw into the crockpot and has such amazing flavor! One of the best things that you will make in your slow cooker!"
- 1 ½ pounds Flank Steak
- ¼ cups cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoons mince Garlic, Cloves
- ¾ cups Soy Sauce
- ¾ cups Water
- ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- 1 cup grated Carrots
- green onions, for garnish
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Running low on dough and don't have the budget for expensive cuts of beef? Slow cooking inexpensive tough cuts of meat turns it into tender bites!