If you're not fan of oatmeal, these recipes might just change your perspective! Forget the usual milk and banana, these savory oatmeal bowls are yummy, delicious and filling - much like rice bowls or porridge, but healthier and loaded with more fiber!
Here are oatmeal recipes made flavorful by vegetables, meats, eggs and cheese. This is the perfect healthy grub for those who just don't consider anything sweet as a whole meal.
Pick your favorite from this bunch and whip up your very own bowl to celebrate National Oatmeal Month!
Sausage, Asparagus and Mushroom Oatmeal Recipe (The Good Mama)
This is is a great recipe for those who love risotto. The earthy flavor of mushrooms blend well with the taste of asparagus. And the cheddar cheese? It makes the whole dish just heavenly!
"After playing around in the kitchen, I came up with a savory oatmeal recipe that your toddler and you will enjoy!"
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 3/4 cup water
- about 8 oz. sausage *I used two sausage links
- 1/4 chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt, pepper, and dried thyme to taste
Lemongrass Oatmeal with Orange Chilli Pork (The Flavor Bender)
This is a good substitute for those who love Asian rice bowls. Ditch the white rice that's loaded with empty calories and replace it with fiber-filled oats. The oatmeal in this recipe is extra flavorful because of the coconut milk, chicken stock and lemongrass combo.
"This Lemongrass Oatmeal with Orange Chilli Pork is without a doubt one of my 'Best Bowl' recipes for a hearty, invigorating brunch or lunch idea, and I know you’re going to love it too."
- 1 cup of Quaker® old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup of good-quality seasoned chicken stock
- 2 pcs of packaged lemongrass (or 2 tbsp of lemongrass paste)
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- ½ tbsp chilli flakes/crushed red pepper (optional)
- 7oz of pork, cut into small chunks
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (½ tsp if you like it spicy)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
Orange Chilli Sauce
- ½ tsp cornflour
- ⅓ cup of orange juice
- 1 -2 tsp chilli flakes/crushed red pepper
To serve (optional)
- Fried egg
- Chopped spring onions
Savoury Oatmeal (Vegan Lovlie)
Tired of boring oatmeal bowls? This recipe is the exact opposite of that! Made colorful by a confetti of carrots, beans, corn and peas, this savory oatmeal bowl is a feast both for the eyes and the palate.
"I like to use old fashioned rolled oats for the texture and fluffiness; I find that they work well with the vegetables. But feel free to use quick oats if you prefer a creamier texture."
Ingredients (serves one hungry):
- 1/2 cup [45g] rolled oats
- 2 halves sundried tomato
- 1 medium [60g] carrot, diced
- 1 1/4 cup [300ml] water
- 1/2 teaspoon bouillon powder (or other seasoning of choice)
- 1/4 cup [40g] cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup [30g] mixed frozen sweet corn and peas
- Few sprigs oregano (or other herbs of choice)
- Salt to taste