They may not be the star of the Thanksgiving feast, but they sure add color and depth to the table. Side dishes are the unsung heroes of the Holiday dinner - they lift up the flavors of the main dish, but they don't intend to overpower them. Here are some of the tastiest Thanksgiving side dishes featuring vegetables in season!
Roasted Butternut Squash (Kitchen Konfidence)
"The sweet spiced squash is then arranged with lime slices, serrano chiles, cilantro and a cool yogurt-tahini dressing. The contrasting flavors and textures of this dish are just spectacular."
- 2 limes
- Flaky sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 serrano chile, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves
Bacon Wrapped Veggie Bundles (A Spicy Perspective)
"These visually appealing and individually portioned roasted vegetables are a great side dish for any meal, even Thanksgiving!"
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 1 lb. carrots, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 1 lb. parsnips, trimmed and peeled, then cut into long spears
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- Salt and pepper
For the Maple Glaze:
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tb. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Want to be exact with ingredient measurements? A digital kitchen scale is a very useful tool for foodies who prefer following recipes to the dot. It's also a great device to have for successful baking!
Rosemary Sweet Potato Stackers (Kim's Healthy Eats)
"How perfect are these Rosemary Sweet Potato Stackers? They look and taste amazing! Every little slice of potato is cooked to perfection in the muffin pan."
- 2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5-6 large sweet potatoes or yams, thinly sliced