Candle-lit wine dinners in expensive restaurants may spell extravagance, but there's nothing more heart-felt than a simple but sumptuous dinner at home, made with love.
Home is where the heart is, so they say. And If there's any dish can express the comforts of home, it would be a heart-warming soup that feeds the body and soothes the soul.
Beet and Roasted Garlic Soup (Garlic Matters)
This Beet and Roasted Garlic Soup recipe from Garlic Matters may be unusual and unconventional in color, but it definitely hits the spot for foodies who love garlic-flavored soups. The cute magenta color of this soup may steal the show at first, but it's the succulent taste that would keep it on your favorite soups list.
"Beet can be tricky to cook, as it often turns bitter. The easiest solution is to add to your dressing, sauce or soup containing the bitter veg like beet, some sort of acid like lemon or lime juice, white wine vinegar or some dry wine."
- 6 medium beetroots (bulbs only)
- 1 head (or 8-10 cloves) of garlic
- 6 tbsps. of olive oil
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 3 tbsps. of finely chopped parsley
- 1 l of vegetable stock (or water)
- 50 ml of dry white or red wine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Light cream (can be sour) for serving - optional
Vegan Valentine – Beetroot Soup with Coconut Hearts (Thinly Spread)
This recipe called Vegan Valentine – Beetroot Soup with Coconut Hearts from Thinly Spread is perfect for vegan couples, or anyone who simply loves beets! This beet soup is made even more flavorful by red onions, garlic, caraway seeds and chili flakes. Top with coconut milk yogurt for more flavor!
"This Beetroot Soup with Coconut Hearts and Seeded Soda Bread is too good not to share with your vegan valentine!"
- 200 g Cooked Beetroot, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1 small Red Onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp Chipotle Chilli Flakes, to taste (optional)
- 300 ml Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup (Two Peas And Their Pod)
If you're a fan of pasta tomato soup, then you'll adore this Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup recipe from Two Peas And Their Pod. Generous pieces of cheese tortellini swim in a hot bowl of creamy soup made with diced tomatoes, aromatics, basil and Greek yogurt. This is one creamy soup that's hard to forget!
"Creamy tomato soup with cheese tortellini! You will think this soup is made with heavy cream, but the secret is Greek yogurt! We love this simple soup!"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (32 oz) container vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 (9 oz) packages fresh or frozen cheese tortellini
- Grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, for garnish, optional
Ludy's Kitchen Cooking Tip:
Want a smooth vegetable puree? Add a slice of bread in the blender as you puree your cooked vegetables. This would result in a smooth puree with less chunks.
Make cooking a lot easier and more enjoyable by using good quality silicone baking mats. Not only are silicone mats sturdy and durable. Because they're non-stick, you can also cut your clean-up time in half.